Baked Chicken Breast
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This Baked Chicken Breast is perfectly juicy and tender, with the best simple seasoning rub. It’s super easy to make and sure to become one of your favorite chicken breast recipes.
This baked chicken breast is so simple to make and the results are truly irresistible! After years of suffering through dry, flavorless baked chicken, I’ve figured out a few simple tricks to ensure that boneless, skinless chicken breasts bake up juicy and delicious. You are going to be amazed at how easy it is to cook perfect chicken breasts in the oven. Everyone at the table will be asking for seconds!
Chicken is one of my favorite easy dinner ideas because it’s so versatile and just about everyone loves it. When you’re not sure what to make for dinner, you can pop a few chicken breasts in the oven, toss together a green salad, slice up a loaf of bread and call it a day. This baked chicken is also so good served with mashed potatoes or rice and roasted vegetables. Or slice it up and serve it on top of a salad or in a sandwich. The possibilities are limitless!
Say goodbye to dry, boring chicken. You’re going to love these baked chicken breasts because they’re so juicy, succulent and full of flavor. They’re sure to become a regular in your recipe rotation!
Baked Chicken Breast Recipe Ingredients
You’ll need just a handful of ingredients for this recipe.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: It’s best if the chicken breasts are approximately the same size so that they will finish cooking at the same time. Want to bake chicken thighs instead? You’ll love my Baked Chicken Thighs recipe.
- Olive Oil: Rubbing the chicken breasts with a little olive oil adds moisture and helps the seasonings to stick to the meat.
- Seasonings: I use a combination of paprika, dried oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. This simple spice mix is an easy way to add lots of flavor to the chicken. You can also add some brown sugar for an extra caramelized crust or some chili powder for a touch of heat. Sometimes I use Italian seasoning in place of the dried oregano.
Chicken Breast Seasoning
The blend of seasonings that I use in this recipe is a favorite and always gets rave reviews. You can also season the chicken with this Chicken Seasoning, or Cajun Seasoning for a delicious spicy kick. If you prefer a marinade try my easy Chicken Marinade.
How to Make the Best Juicy Baked Chicken Breast
Read on for my tips for how to cook perfect, juicy chicken breasts in the oven.
- First, preheat the oven to 425° F. I’ve found this to be the best temperature for baking chicken breasts because the high heat cooks the chicken quickly and seals in the juices.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- Put the chicken breasts in a zip-top bag or between two sheets of parchment paper and pound them to an even thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. This step helps the chicken to cook evenly and tenderizes the meat.
- Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish. Drizzle them with olive oil and rub the oil over all sides of the chicken.
- Rub the seasoning mixture over both sides of the chicken.
- Bake until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165° F. Be careful to not overbake the chicken, as this will cause it to dry out!
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing or serving. This rest time allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat. If you skip the rest time, the juices may run out all over your cutting board, leaving you with dry chicken.
Pro Tip: For the most tender chicken, always slice it against the grain.
How Long to Bake Chicken Breasts
The cook time for boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the oven will depend on their size and thickness. Here’s a general guide for how long to cook chicken breasts at 425° F:
- Small 5-6 ounce chicken breasts: 13-16 minutes
- Medium 8 ounce chicken breasts: 16-19 minutes
- Large 11-12 ounce chicken breasts: 22-26 minutes
The best way to tell when chicken is done is to use an instant read thermometer to test the internal temperature in the center of the meat. According to the USDA, chicken should be cooked to 165° F for food safety. When chicken is almost done it will finish cooking quickly. Once it registers 155° F, it probably needs just 1-2 more minutes in the oven. Watch it closely as it can quickly go from perfect to overcooked.
What to Serve with Baked Chicken
Try a few of these favorite side dishes to go with your baked chicken breast:
- Baked Sweet Potato or Air Fryer Baked Potato
- Kale Salad or Greek Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Biscuit Recipe
- Refrigerator: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezer: Store baked chicken in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Wrap the chicken well to minimize its exposure to air in the freezer. It is best to cut, slice or shred your chicken before freezing it. This way, you can thaw it and add it directly to your recipe. I recommend using frozen chicken in recipes such as casseroles, rather than eating it on its own.
More Favorite Chicken Breast Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Instant Pot Chicken Breast
- Grilled Chicken
- Chicken Marsala
- Chicken Piccata
- Poached Chicken
Baked Chicken Breast
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Pat chicken breasts dry with paper towels. Place them in a large zip-top bag or between two sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound them to an even thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Place chicken breasts in a baking dish. Drizzle with the olive oil and rub over both sides of chicken.
- Combine the seasoning rub ingredients in a small bowl.
- Rub the seasoning rub over both sides of the chicken.
- Bake chicken breasts according to their size: bake 5-6 ounce breasts for 13-16 minutes, bake 8 ounce breasts for 16-19 minutes, bake 11-12 ounce breasts for 22-26 minutes. Check that chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165° F by inserting an instant read thermometer into the thickest part of the meat.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Store baked chicken in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- You may freeze cooked chicken for up to 2 months. Wrap it well before freezing to minimize exposure to air.